Split view has been one of our most requested features for Brackets and with Release 0.44 it’s finally landed. In this release we’ve also overhauled the file tree which should make it more robust. You can see the full list of enhancements here and grab the release here.
With release 0.44 you can now view two documents side-by-side in either horizontal view or vertical view. To enable split view, use the icon and then decide between a vertical split or a horizontal split. Then select the panel you want to open the file in and double-click the file to open it in that pane. You’ll now see two working sets, one for each pane.
File Tree Enhancements
We rewrote our file tree to use React which will make it much easier to maintain going forward. During the upgrade we also fixed an issue that wouldn’t let users right-click on files that Brackets doesn’t support.
Quick Docs for Prefixes and other CSS Fixes
As of this release you can now use Quick Docs when you’re on a browser-prefixed CSS property. We’ve also fixed two important issues with editing CSS code: one where Brackets stopped working when using Live Preview if you placed your cursor on a non-indented } character inside a comment, and one where the inline editor was blank if your CSS rule contained a vendor-prefixed property that used rgb() color values.
The entire team is excited about this release. We hope you enjoy split view as well as all the other features and fixes that went into this release. And as always, we appreciate those of you who have contributed translations and fixes this release. Here’s the complete list:
- Quick Docs: Support vendor-prefixed CSS properties by Marcel Gerber
- Sort Working Files locale-aware by Marcel Gerber
- Quick View: Only respond to color names in CSS/SCSS/LESS files by Marcel Gerber
- New preference: “showCursorWhenSelecting” by Marcel Gerber
- More consistently use “Release” (not “Sprint”) to describe version number (part 2, part 3) by Marcel Gerber
- Switch Extension Manager tabs using Ctrl-(Shift)-Tab (+ part 2) by Marcel Gerber
- Easing editor: Tolerate errant trailing comma in
cubic-bezier()by Marcel Gerber
- Add Debug > Open Brackets Source command by Marcel Gerber
- Themes: Allow styling cursor without needing
!importantby Miguel Castillo
- Fix Quick View positioning with Split View by Marcel Gerber
- Fix Preferences bug in experimental ES6 Promises branch (not part of Brackets yet) by Arzhan “kai” Kinzhalin (Intel Corp)
- Cleanup: Remove many unused vars by Marcel Gerber
- Cleanup: Fix capitalization in function name by Arzhan “kai” Kinzhalin (Intel Corp)
- Cleanup: Update comment links to CodeMirror repo by Marcel Gerber
- Czech translation update (+ part 2) by kvarel
- Finnish translation update (+ part 2, part 3) by valtlait
- Galician translation update by Iván Barcia
- Italian translation update (+ part 2) by Denisov21
- Persian translation update (+ part 2) by Mohammad Yaghobi
- Romanian translation update by Micleusanu Nicu
- Spanish translation update by Jaime Olmo
- Example of using package.json
i18nfield by Denisov21