I’m really excited to introduce the 0.42 release of Brackets which includes support for themes as well as a few other significant features including file-mode switching and numerous community features. This is a big release for us!
We are particularly proud of the themes feature because it’s one of the biggest collaborations yet between the community and our team. In this case we worked very closely with Miguel Castillo to add his very popular Brackets-Themes extension into core. Miguel put in many, many hours working with the team to make this happen. He had to do quite a bit of work to refactor the original extension so it would fit the style of core code and be able to load themes as extensions. Huge thank you to both Miguel and all the community members who provided feedback.
This initial release not only lets you choose themes to change the code editor surface, but you can also change the default font and the font size. All of this can be done by going to the View > Themes… menu in Brackets. We currently ship with two default themes, the normal light theme that we’ve had as well as a beautiful new dark theme done by our designer, Larz.
Themes install just like extensions, so to get new themes, you can use the Extension Manager. There are already a number of themes that are up on the extension registry. Long term we want to separate these themes into their own tab, but for now you can search for “theme” and you’ll see a bunch of new themes you can install and use. There’s also a GitHub organization for Brackets theme developers which has the repositories for a number of themes all in one place. If you’re interested in creating your own themes and publishing them, we’ve got a Creating Themes document on the Brackets wiki that will get you started.
Switch Language Mode/Syntax Definition of a File
We also added the ability to switch the language mode and syntax definition of a file. To use this feature, click the file extension in the bottom status bar. You’ll now see a list of all the different language modes that Brackets supports. You can select one and you’ll now get syntax highlighting for that file as well as any other rules that apply to it.
Replace in Files: The headings for each file include a checkbox for quickly including or excluding all matches in the file.
Extension Manager enhancements: The Extension Manager now shows the list of languages that an extension has been translated for. You can also install a local .zip file containing an extension by dragging and dropping it into the Extension Manager dialog.
jscodehints.detectedExclusions preference so it will ignore these files in the future.
New translations: Brackets has been translated into Traditional Chinese as well as Galician!
You can see the full list of changes as well as specific pull requests on the Release Notes.
Again, a huge thanks to Miguel Castillo and all of the community members who helped add themes to core. It was one of our most substantial community contributions to date and it’s a huge feature for Brackets.
There were a number of other community contributions this release including:
- Create Traditional Chinese translation by Pei-Tang Huang
- Create Galician translation by Iván Barcia
- Show supported translations of each extension in Extension Manager by Marcel Gerber
- Collapse long extension descriptions by Triangle717
- Fix Live Preview Highlight when Live Preview started on a CSS file by Marcel Gerber
- Don’t leave trailing whitespace after auto-indenting a close brace by Andrew MacKenzie
"sortDirectoriesFirst": truesetting with numbered folder names by Tomás Malbrán
background-blend-modeto CSS code hints by coliff
text-renderingto CSS code hints by Steffen Bruchmann
- Add more values to
cursorCSS code hints by Amin Ullah Khan
- Hide .sass-cache folder from view by Andrew MacKenzie
- Highlight .bash files as Bash, and .ino files as C++ by Ty-Lucas Kelley
- Highlight .xaml files as XML by Triangle717
- Correct error message when renaming/deleting folder fails by Marcel Gerber
- Themes: Fix tab order in Themes dialog by Marcel Gerber
- Themes: Dark theme fixes by Tomás Malbrán
- Add info to Getting Started docs: What is a project, how to switch projects by Marcel Gerber
- Cleanup: Remove unused strings by Marcel Gerber
- Themes: Fix menu label string by Triangle717
- Fix missing space in string by Marcel Gerber
- Simplified Chinese translation update by fengdi
- Croatian translation update by Kruno H
- Czech translation update (and) by kvarel
- Dutch translation update by githrdw
- Finnish translation update (and) by valtlait
- German translation update by Marcel Gerber
- Italian translation update (and) by Denisov21
- Korean translation update by Yongmin Hong
- Persian translation update by Mohammad Yaghobi
- Romanian translation update by Micleusanu Nicu
- Russian translation update by Maxim Khlobystov
- Spanish translation update by Chema Balsas
- Swedish translation update by Mikael Jorhult