Brackets Sprint 15 Build

Download Sprint 15: http://download.brackets.io

A lot has happened in the past few weeks and the Sprint 15 build shows it. Less than one month ago we released a new distribution of Brackets, Adobe Edge Code, tailored for the Creative Cloud member. It was quite a bit of work, so we decided to reward ourselves by taking a few days off of the backlog to work on personal projects and features. Then we traveled to London and held our very first hackathon where we picked up some new contributors.

HTML Live Reload

Up until now, Brackets has only supported Live Development for CSS. It was pretty straight forward to swap out CSS in the browser, but it’s a completely different problem to bring that type of live development to HTML. It’s likely that the DOM in your browser is just a derivative of the DOM in your editor, which means we can’t just swap out HTML for true live development. So, before the sprint began, the team got together around a whiteboard and started planning out Live HTML Development in Brackets. As you might expect, this is a pretty complex problem and not something we can solve in a single sprint. In the meantime, we didn’t want to prolong the “save-reload” dance, so we implemented a HTML Live Reload.

Save the file to automatically reload the browser.

If you are in Live Development mode and make a change to an HTML file, we show you a “dirty” mark on the status icon. This lets you know that they HTML file you are editing isn’t in sync with browser. When you save the file, we will automatically reload it in the browser for you. Sure, it’s not Live Development, but it’s handy. Hopefully it will help tide you over until we get the real thing sorted out.

Tabs v. Spaces

As developers, we agree on a lot, but one of the few things we don’t usually agree on is coding style and in particular whether to use spaces or tab characters when indenting code. Thankfully with Brackets, we don’t have to agree. You now have the ability to specify space or tab characters as well as the number of characters to be inserted when you indent. This preference is currently used across all the files you edit. In the future we’ll automatically detect the indentation type and remember if you change it per file.

How do you control this marvelous setting? Read on.

You’ve Got Status (bar)

We felt the natural place to display and configure code indentation was in a bottom status bar, something that has been missing from the Brackets UI. This meant we needed to design and implement a status bar before we could call the Tab v. Spaces feature “complete”. As luck would have it, moments after planning out the work, we got a pull request from Chema Balsas that included a new status bar! We got to meet up with Chema at our first hackathon in London where he tweaked it a bit and we immediately pulled it into master.

The shiny new status bar in Brackets.

In addition to setting indentation type, the status bar provides information about the document you are editing. You can instantly see the cursor position on the far left and on the right you find the total line number and file type. We also moved the JSLint icon to the status bar. When it’s red you’ve got problems. If you fix all the errors you’ll be awarded with a gold start. If JSLint is disabled the star is gray.

Features. Features. Features.

As mentioned above, we got to spend a few days working on whatever we wanted. As a result, there are several small features we wanted to get into Brackets sooner than later. After all, we use Brackets to develop Brackets so you can think of this list as our latest “must have” features.

User Experience

Performance

Code Editing

Files and Folders

Language Support

Community Contributions

We accepted more contributions in Sprint 15 than any other prior sprint. Some of the features have been mentioned above, but here is the full list. The community played a large part in shaping this build and it shows. Thanks to everyone who helped push tooling for the web further!

You can read all the nerdy details in the Release Notes.

UPDATED: Coming Up Next

In the next few sprints, we’ll be focusing on some bigger ideas. We’ll continue to make progress with Live Development for HTML by enabling url mapping, integrate a new visual color selector and spend some time helping contributors get their pull requests committed. Our new build should be ready sometime around November 7th.

Thanks for checking out Brackets and keep the contributions coming!

1. Mike Luning says:

I am a College student who is pursuing a Graphics Art career, also Photography and web Development. Thank you for all your hard work on such an excellent piece of software. Keep up the good work.

-Michael

2. hc says:

Is Adobe Edge Code updated right along with Brackets version? Or do we have to use Brackets to experience the bleeding edge features?

• Adam Lehman says:

We won’t be releasing Edge Code at the same rate we release Brackets, but they won’t get too far out of sync. During the “Preview” Edge Code won’t be on a regular release cycle, but once it leaves beta we are hoping to release a version with every other Brackets version.

3. Surio says:

For those that might have had problems with installing Brackets 15 like I did, this is what worked for me. Do not uninstall your previous version of Brackets *before* installing Brackets 15. You first install Brackets 15 side by side with an existing version of Brackets, and only then uninstall the previous version.

Otherwise the installation seems to hang on Windows 7

• Adam Lehman says:

@Surio,

At what point during the install does it hang on Windows 7. It really shouldn’t matter if previous versions are uninstalled or not.

Right now Brackets looks for Chrome only in the typical install locations. We have a feature story on our backlog to specify custom locations and builds (e.g. canary). I’ve moved the priority of the story up so we can get this feature into Brackets sooner than later.

• Surio says:

Thanks Adam, for taking my request seriously. And moving it up the chain. Appreciated.

One more thing to place on record. It would be great if brackets won’t restrict us to Chrome alone, in the future. As such, I am one of those unfortunate people whose Chrome browser(s) render all major fonts terribly (and web fonts, Ugh!), and the Chrome team is really dragging their feet around this issue for several releases now. Their bug report threads on this topic makes for ironic reading at times. So Chrome alone as a LiveEdit browser, is a big show stopper for people in the same boat as I am. But hey, this is FOSS, so I shouldn’t complain, right? It is only fair that I pick up a shovel and start digging along side, if I need it fixed, right? Still, I hope you guys will include more browsers in the future (don’t forget Opera). 😉

Regarding the installation, it hangs right at the beginning, after I press the “Install” button. After a long period of inactivity I decided to press the Cancel button. The usual warning bells sounded. I accepted it. Then, further inaction until error message “Installation timed out” came up and froze the machine. Reboot, rinse, repeat — same problem. I reverted to Sprint 14 on frustration, and on a whim relaunched 15… voila, Success! I then removed 14 once again.

I know, these things can be a pain to reproduce at your end, but, hey… FWIW. 🙂

4. Surio says:

New question from me:
    I run a portable version of Google Chrome on my PC and Opera+Firefox is my primary browser mode.

Even when I run an instance of Chrome while clicking Live Preview, Brackets is not able to recognise that an instance of Chrome is running. There must be an option for us to manually configure Brackets to look for Chrome in user specified directory. Is there already some option I am not aware of. If not, can this be added to the next release? Thanks in advance.

5. sathyamoorthi says:

I am really happy about ‘url mapping’. really looking for it.

6. Travis says:

It is CTRL/CMD-SHIFT-D to delete the current line or selection of lines. CTRL/CMD-D duplicates the current line.

7. Caleb M says:

Brackets will soon be added to my collection of code editing tools. Live Preview is what I’m really looking forward to.

When are you going to have preprocessors like Sass supported in Live Preview?

8. Javier Diaz says:

Wow! This is amazing! This tool has helped me a lot, it’s great the way you structure the code and hardly lose track of what you are doing! Excellent application!

9. Manmohanjit says:

Wow, I’m blind.

“Tabs v. Spaces” was the only reason stopping me from using Brackets and I finally found it :X