Brackets Blog

code the web

Preview Brackets on Linux

Download Brackets for Linux: http://download.brackets.io

Over the last few sprints we’ve quietly made progress on Linux support for Brackets. The bulk of the work done recently focused on merging prior Linux work into our master branch, cleaning up our build process and isolating our Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) dependencies to the point where we could deliver a Debian package for easy installation on Ubuntu/Debian. Long story short, we’re happy to announce Linux preview builds for Debian/Ubuntu for Brackets starting with Sprint 28.

Hello Ubuntu. Brackets is here.

“Preview”…Okay, What’s Missing?

We’re calling these preview builds because there is still some significant feature work to do before the Linux build is up to par with our Mac and Windows builds. The good news is that the bulk of our headliner features do work: Live Preview with Chrome, CSS Quick Edit, Drag and Drop to open files/folders, and JavaScript code hinting to name a few.

A high level list of known issues is available, but here are some notable features that are currently missing:

• Live Preview Highlight
  • File Rename and Delete
  • Extension Management
    • Extensions must be installed manually into ~/.Brackets/extensions/user

For up-to-date information, visit our GitHub wiki page for Linux.

I’m a Linux Developer and I Want to Help!

Great! But a fair warning: The bulk of the work remaining is not HTML/JS/CSS code, it’s C++. Since most of the interest in Brackets is from web developers, we know that it’s a bit of a hard sell to jump into C++ code.

With that said, we have a guide for Linux developers on our wiki to get them started with a development environment for brackets-shell (the native wrapper based on CEF) as well as brackets (the core “www” project). The setup process only differs from Mac and Windows as far as build dependencies and tools. The good news is that the development environment setup is automated. And the even better news is that thanks to our Grunt tasks, basics of building the shell and creating an installer is the same across all 3 platforms.

If you’re more interested in contributing to the core Brackets project (the www code), all you need to do is install the build, fork the GitHub repository and follow these setup instructions. If you want to develop extensions, you can even skip forking our GitHub repository and go straight into extension development.

We have a small number of user stories to complete on our backlog before we can put the stamp of approval on our Linux build. We’re already getting help integrating Node.js to enable several downstream features like the Extension Manager. Now that we’re announcing this build to the broader community, we hope to get additional help to complete the remaining stories.

Here are a few features we need help on:

Thank You!

It’s been a long road to Linux support. Thanks to all the contributors and users who helped us get this far.

1. [...] Debian package for easy installation on Ubuntu/Debian. Long story short, we’re happy to announce Linux preview builds for Debian/Ubuntu for Brackets starting with Sprint [...]

2. Ivan Ivanovich says:

Cyrillic fonts are terrible (Windows version too).

3. When tried to install got this warning:
    The package is of bad quality
    The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn’t allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.
    Details:
    Lintian check results for ~/Downloads/brackets-sprint-28-LINUX64.deb:
    E: brackets: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object usr/lib/brackets/Brackets
    E: brackets: arch-independent-package-contains-binary-or-object usr/lib/brackets/lib/libcef.so

4. sxss says:

Nice! I have been waiting for months now. Now i can use the best editor (Brackets) on the best operating system (Ubuntu)! Thanks, thanks, thanks!

5. Gary Richmond says:

Hi,

I downloaded and installed Brackets for GNU/Linux on my 32 bit version of Ubuntu 13.4. It installed without complaint but would not launch. I tried it from a terminal and got the follwing error message (which I have seen befroe in other software too):

/usr/lib/brackets/Brackets: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any suggestions?

6. Debian says:

Hey,

I use Debian Wheezy. Installation went good. But when I try to start brackets I get the following error:

`GLIBC_2.14′ not found (required by /usr/lib/brackets/Brackets)

Debian Wheezy does not support GLIBC_2.14. Its version is GLIBC_2.13. Which debian versions are supported?

7. [...] Adobe’s web-centric open source editor Brackets is now available to preview on Linux. The editor depends on the Chromium Embedded Framework and has required work to make that [...]

8. Akash says:

Hey,

The live preview for Sprint 29 doesn’t work. Dunno why.

9. Juan Pablo says:

Great News! Thanks!

10. NonKon says:

Is a Debian Wheezy (Stable) Version out there or planned?

11. Coca says:

I can’t install any extension on Ubuntu 13.04 64bit. I’m trying to put the full URL or click on a list of Available but no any of those can be installed. the message always alert me “Installation failed. Unknown internal error.”

• TemplarKnight says:

Which is the correct way to install extensions on Brackets for Debian/Ubuntu? Neither with the last build (Sprint 32) I am able to install extensions, I always get the “Installation failed. Unknown internal error” message.

I know there is a ~/.Brackets/extensions/user folder, but how should I use the zip file that I downloaded from the extension site (I uncompressed it, I kept it as ZIP, etc with not result whatsoever)?

Thanx!

• aadel says:

It seems that the extension directory has been moved to ~/.config/brackets/extensions and it’s not created by default. Creating the directory and copying extensions from ~/.Brackets to ~/.config/brackets solves the problem. Tested on Ubuntu 12.04_64.

12. Hi,

Is there going to be an RPM package too?

13. Timur Kristóf says:

Is there going to be a release for RPM-based distributions like Fedora?

14. Chief says:

Please make it work great on Linux and they will come in droves…

15. Mike says:

Also running Debian Wheezy, installed fine but won’t launch. Terminal output: /opt/brackets/Brackets: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14′ not found (required by /opt/brackets/Brackets)

What’s the best (simple) solution for this?

16. maco says:

feedback: retrieved from http://www.brackets.io – it downloaded the 64bit build correctly. opened with Ubuntu default “Ubuntu Software Manager”; for some reason Build button would not enable (flaky internet?). so

sudo dpkg -i brackets-sprint-31-LINUX64.deb

from Unity, it’s found when I type in “br”, and runs correctly when the icon pressed.

17. Harri says:

The Debian package installs fine, but at run time it complains about a bad C library. And how comes that it wants GLIBC_2.14 and GLIBC_2.15 in parallel? I would highly recommend to check your build environment for compatibility to the most recent Debian and Ubuntu LTS releases.

You claim its open source. Where can I find the Debian _source_ package to rebuild brackets for Wheezy?

Thanx
    Harri

18. Radek says:

I am running Brackets on elementary OS, with instalation I haven’t any problem, but program do not open files from hard disk, brackets just open blank page.
    Another problem is…I use Filezilla to edit files on FTP, this also not work, still Brackets open blank page, any ideas? thanks

2 Trackbacks