It’s time, once again, for a new Brackets build. This release has a balance of new features, under-the-hood improvements, and some key bug fixes in recently-added features.
Exclude Files and Folders from Searches
“Find in Files” now has the ability to exclude files and folders from your search. This is very useful if you have a lot of files that you don’t need to search, for example, in
To set the files or folders to exclude, click on the “Exclude files…” button. Then, in the dialog, simply type a list of patterns specifying the files and folders you want to exclude. Simple strings match any item whose full path includes that string. You can also use wildcards/globs to specify more complex patterns.
For more information, see Using File Filters.
Signed Builds on Mac and Windows
Until now, Brackets builds have been unsigned, which made them cumbersome to install and run. You had to know the special “right-click and choose Open” on Mac OSX or “click the ‘More info’ link to install under SmartScreen” on Windows 8 tricks in order to run or install. Starting with Sprint 37, Brackets builds will now be signed on both Mac and Windows, so you’ll no longer have to deal with those problems.
Preferences Infrastructure Improvements
Last sprint, we introduced a new preferences system. In this sprint, we’ve enhanced it to also store view state – transient information that isn’t really preferences, but needs to be saved between Brackets sessions (for example, the width of the sidebar). With this addition, the Preferences API is now finished and fully available for extension authors to take advantage of.
We’ve also added a few more preferences, including the ability to configure a proxy for extension installation, as well as to tweak editor behaviors like inserting code hints when you hit Tab. For more information, see the Preferences documentation.
Improved File Watcher and Live Development Stability
We also introduced a new file watcher infrastructure last sprint that made it possible for Brackets to auto-refresh the file tree and the open editor when changes were made outside Brackets. In this sprint, we’ve fixed a critical bug in this infrastructure that sometimes made it so Brackets would stop noticing file changes when multiple files were changed at once. This would typically surface when switching branches in source control.
We were also finding that Live Preview had become less stable in recent sprints – specifically, starting the browser connection was flaky. We’ve made a number of improvements in this area, so Live Preview should start much more reliably now.
Please let us know if you find any other issues in these areas.
Another major piece of work we started in this sprint is one that’s been requested by many users: support for multiple cursors and selections. Marijn Haverbeke is in the process of adding this functionality to CodeMirror, and we’re integrating it into Brackets as well. If all goes well, our plan is to ship this in Sprint 38.
As always, the Brackets community has added many other improvements and fixed bugs. Thanks to everyone who’s contributed!
* Allow inline cubic-bezier/steps editor on empty timing functions by Marcel Gerber
* Keep Find in Files results in predictably sorted order (and) by Tomás Malbrán
* Move Working Files sort options from context menu to new settings dropdown by Alessandro Artoni (followup fixes by Tomás Malbrán)
* New preference: Insert code hints with Tab by Tomás Malbrán
* New preference: Sort directories to top in file tree (vs. intermingled with files) by Tomás Malbrán
* New preferences: Disable ‘smart indent’; disable auto-inserting HTML close tags by Tomás Malbrán
* If preferences JSON is invalid, show a warning and then run without the setting changes from that file by Arzhan “kai” Kinzhalin (Intel Corp)
* Replace can use `$&` to insert whole regexp match by Marcel Gerber
* Allow specifying a port number in Live Preview custom server URL by andoband
* Add Indonesian translation (and) by Nasaruddin and Resi Respati
* Disable Close Others context menu items when irrelevant by Marcel Gerber
* Strip leading/trailing whitespace from extension URL by Marcel Gerber
* OS-specific labels for “Show in OS” context menu item by Marcel Gerber
* Make Overwrite cursor mode visually distinct from Insert mode (and) by Bernhard Sirlinger
* Don’t hide user-editable source control files like .gitignore by Tom Van Schoor
* Find in Files: Expand/collapse all sections via Ctrl/Cmd-click by Sathyamoorthi
* Bezier inline editor: tab between points to move them with keyboard by Marcel Gerber
* Add CSS value code hints for `flex`, `flex-basis` properties by Marcel Gerber
* Highlight .ascx files (ASP.NET User Controls) as plain HTML by Clay Miller
* Highlight .plist (Property List) files as XML by Clay Miller
* Fix some native memory leaks on Mac by Brandon Jones
* Fix font zoom viewport for new CodeMirror (and) by Tomás Malbrán
* Fix #6828: Return Brackets-style paths from extension-installation code by Arzhan “kai” Kinzhalin (Intel Corp)
* Fix Toggle Line Comment in JSON files by Marcel Gerber
* Prep work for supporting native menubar on Linux (not enabled yet) by MattSturgeon
* Fix #6612: Reset scroll position in Find in Files results more reliably by Tomás Malbrán
* Fix #5923: Don’t scroll hidden list tab in Extension Manager by Marcel Gerber
* Update jQuery to 2.1.0 (from 2.0.1) by Bernhard Sirlinger
* Fix failing ProjectManager unit test by Lance Campbell
* Fix CodeInspection unit tests on non-English locales by Bernhard Sirlinger
* Code cleanup: Close Others context menu by Marcel Gerber
* Code cleanup: Remove unneeeded .livehtml flag by Marcel Gerber
* Code cleanup: Remove duplicate CSS code hint value by Bernhard Sirlinger
* Code cleanup: Avoid `.not.toBe(null)` in unit tests by Michael Hernandez (Intel Corp)
* setup_for_hacking script: Support git repo locations with spaces in path on Windows by Andrew Dal Cin
* Fix brackets-shell build script on Mac case-sensitive file systems by Martin Prins
* Fix #6452: Prevent Debug > Reload Brackets from being run re-entrantly by Lance Campbell
* Use names from each language’s own locale in the Debug > Switch Language UI by Michael Hernandez (Intel Corp)
* Czech translation update by kvarel
* German translation update by Marcel Gerber
* Persian-Farsi translation update by Mohammad Yaghobi
* Polish translation update by Olgierd Grzyb
* Romanian translation update by Micleusanu Nicu
* Spanish translation update by Tomás Malbrán
* Russian translation fix by wpt
* Russian translation fix by Arzhan “kai” Kinzhalin (Intel Corp)
* Update localization instructions by Michael Hernandez (Intel Corp)