Brackets 0.44 Release: Split View

Split view has been one of our most requested features for Brackets and with Release 0.44 it’s finally landed. In this release we’ve also overhauled the file tree which should make it more robust. You can see the full list of enhancements here and grab the release here.

Split View

With release 0.44 you can now view two documents side-by-side in either horizontal view or vertical view. To enable split view, use the splitview-icon icon and then decide between a vertical split or a horizontal split. Then select the panel you want to open the file in and double-click the file to open it in that pane. You’ll now see two working sets, one for each pane.

split-view

File Tree Enhancements

We rewrote our file tree to use React which will make it much easier to maintain going forward. During the upgrade we also fixed an issue that wouldn’t let users right-click on files that Brackets doesn’t support.

Quick Docs for Prefixes and other CSS Fixes

As of this release you can now use Quick Docs when you’re on a browser-prefixed CSS property. We’ve also fixed two important issues with editing CSS code: one where Brackets stopped working when using Live Preview if you placed your cursor on a non-indented } character inside a comment, and one where the inline editor was blank if your CSS rule contained a vendor-prefixed property that used rgb() color values.

The entire team is excited about this release. We hope you enjoy split view as well as all the other features and fixes that went into this release. And as always, we appreciate those of you who have contributed translations and fixes this release. Here’s the complete list:

1. Coen Naninck says:

Thank you SO MUCH for split view! I’ve been using Brackets for about six months now and while in-context editing is neat I still find myself switching between documents (using Control+Tab or the mouse in the Working Files pane). Split view is a very welcome addition I had silently hoped for since I started using Brackets.

I know this is not the place for feature requests, but just saying I also hope the Working Files pane will be resizable at some point. I usually have a log list of files open and need to use the scroll bar to find other files I’m working on.

2. harish says:

What are the keyboard shortcuts for the following?

1) switching between split view and normal view.
    2) split from vertical to horizontal
    3) switch between left and right panes.

This would be of great help.

Thanks.

• Peter Flynn says:

#1 and #2 can be addressed by assigning keyboard shortcuts to the View menu items. Currently the easiest way to do that is via the Key Remapper extension, but in the very next release of Brackets we’ll have a simpler built-in way to do this.

For #3, you can use Ctrl-Tab to navigate between recent documents, including documents in the other pane. You can also use Quick Open to quickly switch to any document (open or not) by typing just a few letters from its name. There is no shortcut dedicated to switching panes, though. See issue 9036 for discussion of adding that.

3. Finn says:

Loving this update all,

The split view is a great thought, i generally feel this will save me a lot of production time – being able to have html and css screens side by side is something i will not be able to live without now.

Just wondered if there was anything in the pipeline (or already existing) for being able to ‘snippet’ my own code to re-hash in future projects. Knowing me, you have already done this and i have missed it…

4. Cody Moniz says:

Thank you so much for adding split screen support!

5. J says:

There is no way to open the same file in both panes?

6. Driftologist says:

Thank you so much for the continued improvements to brackets. Split view will be a great help to me for quickly prototyping while still maintaining a good file structure.

7. […] Version 0.44 bringt unter anderem eine neue “Split View” mit, mit der sich zwei Dokumente gleichzeitig nebeneinander oder auch untereinander öffnen und bearbeiten lassen. Außerdem hat man die Verzeichnisanzeige etwas optimiert, sodass nun immer die aktuell geöffnete Datei hervorgehoben wird und ein Rechtsklick auf eine Datei öffnet diese nun nicht mehr direkt im Editor, sondern zeigen ein Menü mit verschiedenen Dateioperatoren an. Das Changelog ist recht lang geworden und umfasst auch eine CSS-Bugs, alles in allem ein sehr rundes Update. Solltet ihr euch einmal anschauen, sofern ihr einen einfachen, aber erweiterbaren Editor sucht und dabei aus irgendwelchen Gründen nicht auf die bestehenden Platzhirsche zurückgreifen wollt. […]

8. […] selection and this behavior can now be disabled. The complete Brackets 0.44 changelog can be found HERE. For those not familiar with Brackets, this is an open-source code editor for web design and […]

9. […] selection and this behavior can now be disabled. The complete Brackets 0.44 changelog can be found HERE. For those not familiar with Brackets, this is an open-source code editor for web design and […]

10. Thank you for slip view! =D

11. Jeff says:

I love it! Thanks so much for making my favourite IDE even better. 🙂

12. Umarfaruk M says:

Split view is fantastic feature. Most needed for me.

13. goa says:

Era todo lo que necesitaba para cambiarme a Brackets. Gracias!

14. […] selection and this behavior can now be disabled. The complete Brackets 0.44 changelog can be found HERE. For those not familiar with Brackets, this is an open-source code editor for web design and […]

15. […] selection and this behavior can now be disabled. The complete Brackets 0.44 changelog can be found HERE. For those not familiar with Brackets, this is an open-source code editor for web design and […]

16. tanja says:

Hi. I downloaded the 044 update ( osx 10.6.8) and the great new feature split view is not working – or it works sometimes sometimes not. Pages mostly open in one panel, no matter which one is focused. I want to open two php files. It seems that opening two html files is not a problem…

Any idea?
    Thanks in advance
    Tanja

17. […] O programa foi atualizado para a versão 0.44 recentemente e recebeu um dos recursos mais solicitados pelos usuários: a exibição de arquivos de código lado a lado ou uma sobre a outra. O novo recurso de visualização pode ser acessado a partir do menu View ou usando o ícone ao lado do arquivo de trabalho (painel esquerdo). Por enquanto, não é possível visualizar os mesmos arquivos em dois painéis. Para mais detalhes sobre essa versão, acesse o changelog. […]

18. Mustafa says:

Please, why the arabic support is too bad? Not like what’s in dreamweaver 🙁

19. gstack says:

split view isn’t working for me on windows either

Release 0.44 experimental build 0.44.0-14876 (release 6d2d33d80)
    build timestamp: Fri Oct 03 2014 15:05:44 GMT-0700

appears focused but files will not load in the pane.

• gstack says:

amend to that — did find a solution, opening the split view from the button in the sidebar seems to produce a working pane.

so its not being initialized properly from the menubar or something.

• Kat says:

I know this is a little old, but I hope it might help someone else having the same problem. Using the sidebar button wasn’t working for me either. I found that if I already had files open in the top recently used section of the sidebar, they wouldn’t open in the new pane – they would only open in the original pane.

The trick to get a file to open in the new pane instead of replacing the file in the old pane was to clear it from the recently used section of the sidebar, focus on the new pane, then open it again from the file tree.

20. Christopher says:

I like split view. I recall using Brackets when it was in it’s early stages, it has evolved quite a bit since the time it started.

21. Matt says:

Am I the only one who has significant performance problems in this release?

I like split view and Brackets in general a lot, but this release seems much slower in terms of editing, cursor movements, etc than its (already kinda sluggish) predecessors. Judging by the comments, though, I might be the only one who’s unlucky enough to experience it. I will unfortunately go back to the 0.43 release for now.

Any dev insight on this and whether it will be solved in the next release?

22. Gaspar says:

I have this really strange problem since I updated:
    I can’t input the html code brackets on my Hungarian keyboard layout (it is alt+m and alt+. ) It just blinks on the keypresses, but no character is input.
    Any suggestion what could be wrong?

Keep up the good work on the program!

23. Vidall says:

I also have a problem with split view not working, focusing on the empty section and clicking a file just results in the left pane being populated, the right pane always stays empty.

24. JD T says:

How do I remove the shading on the inactive view?

25. J.Drengr says:

Also want to know how do I remove the shading on the inactive view?
    Delete the latest version of Brackets because of this blur.

6 Trackbacks

Warning: call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'thematic_pings' not found or invalid function name in /home/wp_twqxv4/blog.brackets.io/wp-includes/class-walker-comment.php on line 180