Getting Ready to Declare Brackets 1.0

It’s been almost 3 years since the first commit for Brackets landed. In that time we’ve gone from a small project to one of the most popular repositories on GitHub and what we think is the best code editor for web designers and front end developers. We’re excited to see that a lot of you agree! We’ve had 240 contributors over that time, each new release gets over 100,000 downloads, and our extension registry contains 439 extensions and 75 themes. Most of those have been created by you and have helped make Brackets a fantastic tool. Thanks!

Over the past three years the team and community have worked on a combination of “core” editor features as well as innovative features for web development like Live Preview and Quick Edit. We all love innovative features, but a good code editor needs to have a solid foundation too. We think we’ve now got a great balance of both and want to make it clear that Brackets is a tool that you can use for every day work.

As a symbol of that, we’re going to be declaring the next release, which will be our 45th, the 1.0 release of Brackets. We’ll be pushing that release live at the Future of Web Design in NYC in November.

The Future of Brackets

With Brackets hitting 1.0, we’re still committed to releasing every 3-4 weeks and adding great features. There are still things we want to do in terms of core features, but going forward we want to spend the majority of our time adding innovative features for web designers and front end developers.

After releasing 1.0, the core Adobe team is also going to slightly change what kinds of innovative features we focus on. We think that Brackets is a great editor for all kinds of web development and extensions help support a variety of languages and general web features. So post-1.0, the Adobe developers are going to be more focused on features that support design-oriented coding tasks. As a team we’ve been looking at how we can use our expertise at Adobe to give users a great code editing experience. One area we’ve identified is an unmet need for a coding tool that supports design. We think a lot of front end developers and web designers are doing work to implement designs and the core team wants to build the perfect editor for them. Some of the early feature ideas are about improving preprocessor workflows, making SVG editing more powerful, and adding more visual inline editors.

We will of course continue to maintain the core code base as well as implement important core features. We are also committed to supporting the the extension ecosystem so it will always be a great general purpose editor for the web. But we’re particularly excited about the prospect of making Brackets the best code editor for doing design-oriented coding with
CSS, HTML, and JS.

We couldn’t have hit 1.0 without our community. It’s been a lot of fun to work with all of you and see the Brackets project grow. The entire team is humbled by how many of you are using it and the time you take to contribute code, file issues, and write extensions. It’s a pleasure to be a part of the Brackets community and we’re all looking forward to continuing to work with you to grow and evolve Brackets.

The entire Brackets team will be at Future of Web Design, so if you’re there, come by. We’ll be at the Adobe booth and would love to get your feedback and hear about your experiences with Brackets.

– The Brackets Team

1. Brade says:

Hmm, I started using Brackets a few days ago, and I like it pretty well. But what I’m hearing in this post is “we don’t care too much about server-side coding.” Not sure how accurate that is, but focusing too hard on HTML/CSS/JS seems very limiting. For instance, right now I’d love to have a good file comparison extension, but one doesn’t seem to exist. That’s something that most developers have a need for.

I want to keep using Brackets, but what I really want is a lightweight editor that can truly serve as a replacement for bloated IDE’s and offers good support for server side options such as Go, Python, PHP, etc.

• Ryan Stewart says:

I don’t know if I’d go so far as saying we don’t care about server side code, but the Adobe team is really interested in the prospect of continuing to make it an awesome editor for front end technologies. But one of the great thing about Brackets is that there are a number of external committers and contributing is encouraged. I hope that the community sees where we’re focusing and augments that with pull requests that improve server side language support.

=Ryan
      ryan@adobe.com

2. Jacky says:

First off, congrats!
    I’ve been using Brackets for not too long, maybe 2 months now, but I love it!
    What I’m wondering is, what has Brackets to do with Adobe? I don’t really get it.. I mean, it looks almost identical to Adobe Code and you mentioned the “Adobe Team” in this post.

Can someone give me a short explanation, please?

Regards,
    Jacky.

• Ryan Stewart says:

Hey Jacky, Adobe started the Brackets project and has a number of full time engineers who work on it. We’ve also got an Adobe-branded distribution of Brackets (called Edge Code) which includes Brackets as well as some pre-bundled extensions. There’s no functional difference although Brackets gets updated a lot more!

=Ryan
      ryan@adobe.com

3. Sevis says:

If all Adobe projects were as open to collaboration and cross-platform compatibility as Brackets is, I might actually start buying their software.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for a great editor!

4. Davor Tomic says:

Kudos to the whole Brackets team! You’ve come a long way, and the community recognizes and appreciates that. I’d dare to say that Brackets is right now the most powerful code editor out there, at least for front-end developers, if not all. Congratulations and keep it awesome! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Michel says:

But weโ€™re particularly excited about the prospect of making Brackets the best code editor for doing design-oriented coding with CSS, HTML, and JS.

— Sounds like the Adobe Dreamweaver team soon might not have a project to work on? In the past, this what the primary purpose of Dreamweaver: a great coding editor that also could help designers (after all, Dreamweaver had for ages “Code View”, “Design View” and “Live View”, right?).

Or perhaps, after the “freezing” of project Fireworks in 2013, the next one will be Dreamweaver?.. Too much overlap between two tools usually leads to the demise of one of them; especially if the same company develops both. (Photoshop — Fireworks parallel comes to mind pretty easily.)

• Ryan Stewart says:

Hey Michel, there aren’t any plans to change what Dreamweaver is doing. And I think even with this new focus there are still some key differences in the goals for Brackets and Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is a great all-in-one web tool that covers both design and development. What we’re setting out to do with Brackets is build a great code editor for design. So we don’t have things like Live view and we won’t have drag-and-drop tools. Brackets will stay lightweight and code-focused.

=Ryan
      ryan@adobe.com

• Michel says:

Thanks for the reply, Ryan!

I bet you’re sincere! But I’ve seen Fireworks go down the drain and there were promises before that Photoshop won’t ever replace it… nor any other Adobe tool, and then came many new Adobe EDGE tools and Photoshop and Illustrator teams kept copying and pasting Fireworks native tools to their apps and then… there was no need for Fireworks anymore.

Yeah, as someone else said in the comments — I don’t trust Adobe.

Since Adobe got Macromedia, all Macromedia apps went steadily in the “down” direction: Fireworks was frozen in 2013, Dreamweaver is still being developed but not many people outside of Adobe are excited by it, Flash pro is a buzzword of the past, and Freehand was killed in agreement with Adobe+Macromedia.

I hear very good things about Brackets. But I wouldn’t bet on an Adobe product today…

• Ryan Stewart says:

While Adobe does the bulk of work on Brackets, it’s far from an Adobe product. While the Adobe team may be focusing on design-oriented coding features, there are a number of other committers who help work on Brackets and maintain the core codebase. Plus there are many, many extensions that can help you turn Brackets into whatever you want it to be.

=Ryan
          ryan@adobe.com

6. Aleksandar Vu?i? says:

Did you fixed the cyrillic fonts for 1.0 release? xD

7. @felipekm says:

Thank you guys to provide this great tool, we’re using on our company has been one year and we’re loving it, keep rock as usual!

8. Helene says:

I am new in the field and I have been using Brackets since day one.

Thank you to all the contributors and the great community.

Helene

9. Ed Appell says:

Great job guys! I love Brackets for front-end focused projects, small sites, and quickly prototyping design ideas. I’m excited to see where this goes and hope to use it more as a daily tool for building larger web apps.

One concern I have is this statement:

Let’s not forget how early HTML editors became pretty much unusable when they tried to make them into drag-n-drop design tools for developers who didn’t want to learn to write a little markup and CSS. I remember, I was there, it was ugly. Not saying that’s what you guys are planning – at this point it doesn’t sound that way – but it can be a slippery slope.

So keep the scope focused and this tool will continue to draw more and more developers who want a fast, useful code editor!

• Ryan Stewart says:

Yup, we have ZERO plans to try and make Brackets an all-in-one web design/development tool. That’s what Dreamweaver is for. We’re focused on code-centric web design problems. We want to keep Brackets lightweight, fast, and all about code. We just think that more and more designers are working in code and more and more developers have to implement or work with designs in some way. So we are excited about the challenge of coming up with code editor features for those problems that embrace the fact that people know and understand CSS/HTML/JS already.

=Ryan
      ryan@adobe.com

10. Francesco says:

Brackets party?
    Celebrate the release with an awesome t-shirt! A beautiful clean look, brackets logo. A design work for Adobe ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Joe Mesot says:

I do like brackets a lot. I have been using DW for years, and have recently switched over to Sublime text 2 because of its LiveStyle plug in. It allows works in a similar fashion to live preview in brackets, only it allows for two way updates in either source code, or chrome dev tools. So I can make changes in either and it will update my stylesheet and the live view in the browser. It does not support HTML live updates though, and it only works on remote files while brackets only works on local files. I would like to see similar updates to brackets. As of now, when opening dev tools in Chrome, live preview stops. Would be nice to have it work both ways.

Congrats on the 1.0 release, and I hope brackets continues to evolve into a terrific editor.

12. Vincent says:

Congratulations on the milestone! So does this have an implications for the status of the Linux version of Brackets?

13. ivan says:

Any plans for introducing CoffeeScript autocompletion and syntax highlighting?

14. […] Getting Ready to Declare Brackets 1.0 (The Brackets Team) […]

15. Anton Bacaj says:

I have tried your product for roughly one week and have decided that it isn’t suitable for me to use on a daily basis.

Being primarily a front end developer working with Javascript, HTML, Sass, I found a lack of features that can be seen in the likes of Webstorm a bigger and better featured IDE.

I know this is lighter in weight but how does this replace Atom.io or even Sublimetext, which are both in the same category as Brackets?

With limited plugins and limited community I have not been compelled to use Brackets on a daily basis over Webstorm + Sublimetext or Atom.io.

The product is good but with a large pool of options, it is hard to standout!

16. Ian says:

I have used DW since about 2003 (ish) The one thing I have learned since then is not to trust Adobe. So while you may have no plans Ryan, and I don’t doubt your sincerity, your bosses may well have. Excitement, awesomeness, passion, and all the other buzzwords that describe committed team members are irrelevant to senior managers and business owners. No business case, no product.

17. Well done everybody! Brackets is a fantastic product, I use it everyday. Interesting to see you explicitly going after that front-end niche. Will you eventually extend out to build tool integration as well?

18. MadDog says:

“Today Adobe announces Atom won, Brackets to become yet another Adobe designer orientated tool.”

Very disappointed, though I much prefer Brackets to Atom but Brackets is still massively short of the productivity of Sublime, WebStorm, Eclipse etc. as a coders editor and from the sound of it the foot is coming of the gas pedal as Adobe want a designers not coders tool. I suppose not really a total surprise, given Adobe’s current toolset what they want are designer tools not coders tools but I really had high hopes for Brackets. Time to bite the bullet.

• Ryan Stewart says:

We’re still very much planning on working on coding features. We just think that there are an increasing number of designers who spend a lot of time coding and we think we can implement some cool features for that space. We’re going to continue to work on “core” coding features that improve productivity as well. We’re just not going to spend as much time trying to build innovative or language-specific features for Ruby, PHP, etc.

=Ryan
      ryan@adobe.com

19. […] The Brackets group has introduced that, after shut to three years, contributions from 240 people, and a whole lot of hundreds of downloads, they’re getting ready to declare Brackets 1.0. […]

20. Bob Prokop says:

Congratulations on a great product. I’ve been using Brackets for over a year now and I love it. Smart, fast, and highly customizable. I turned to Brackets while working on a project that included a legacy CSS file that was over 200k in size and kept locking up my machine in DW.

One thing I would really like to see — and maybe it exists already — is the ability to handle a shared component, like global navigation or a footer — that gets automatically updated in terms of link paths regardless of where it’s inserted. Sort of like an SSI or DW Library item. Does this capability exist? Does anyone know if there is an extension for it?

Looking forward to where the team takes Brackets. I hope it remains bloat-free and open source for as long as it continues to be actively developed.

• Ryan Stewart says:

I don’t know if that’s something we’d bring into core, but it would make a great extension. I don’t know of one off the top of my head but I’ll keep an eye out.

=Ryan
      ryan@adobe.com

21. Thomas Smet says:

I have been using brackets for over nine months now and this is hands down my favorite code writing tool out there right now. Most of my focus with Brackets has been Cordova mobile app development. Brackets combined with Chrome and the Ripple extension for Chrome make one heck of a hybrid mobile app development environment. The live view has been absolutely amazing for styling mobile app layouts with CSS. It is very hard for me to have to use Visual Studio at work now when I need to help style a page for our company website. In fact everything now seems clunky compared to styling in Brackets. Forget WYSIWYG and drag and drop. Live view is the future of styling pages.

I only wish Brackets had better PHP support. I don’t do a lot of PHP work wince most of what I create is either mobile apps or my company website which is .net based but for other projects I would like to see tighter PHP tools. I have followed the PHP projects closely and it has come a long way but formatting still has some issues. I know that is mostly extension based right now and hopefully as more server side developers take notice we will get some stronger php extensions.

22. Sara says:

I use so many Adobe products as a print designer, so it was such a great feeling to find Brackets recently while struggling to find a lightweight and —aesthetically pleasing— code editor. I’ve been programming for almost a year, and hopefully-maybe will try building an extension. I love the open source aspect, and wish all Adobe products could do the same. Thanks again, guys, and congrats!

23. Matthew Gladman says:

If you are really want a no-fuss code editor (not IDE) look at Sublime Text 3, it is fantastic for most languages (PHP / Ruby / Python in particular). There is also Notepad++ which is even simpler, or if you are on a Mac there is Textmate (I’ve never used it, but it’s considered the “original” Sublime Text)

If you do want more full blown features offered in IDE’s, Jetbrains makes the best IDE’s for languages you listed (PHP / Ruby / Python), but you will need plenty of RAM if you are working on multiple projects (my PHPStorm takes up 900MB working on 8+ projects)

24. Follow the Brackets PHP Special Interest Group then and contribute if possible.

25. I hear you Brade, really i do, but if you go back and see the plans for Brackets the code editor in it’s initial announcement, the code team made it clear that this Program is going to be for (Front End) Development, focusing on HTML, CSS, & JavaScript From the very beginning, so if anything it’s pretty surprising to me that they had to clarify that over and over again.

– Go Brackets!

26. Bob Prokop says:

Thanks, Ryan. Maybe I should get busy writing that extension myself ๐Ÿ˜‰

27. Luis says:

Well done buddies. Thank you for all the joy you have bring to me, and for my workflow. All the best for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

28. Jeremiah says:

You guys are geniuses.

Thanks for making this!

– Jeremiah

29. Ivan says:

Hello Brackets dev team! Are you going to implement support for more browsers for Live Preview? Or maybe a built-in preview window? It would be really nice.

30. Fez Vrasta says:

It’s about an year since I’ve started using Brackets, I definitely love it. I’ve contributed to this project creating some extensions and contributing to extensions of others. I think the Brackets community is great, unlike other editors, when you are just an user and the communication is mono-directional, here we can talk with the developers and be ourselves developers.

The only downsides of this editor is the lack of performance on some kind of files and the time it takes to load. I think that if we could reach the same performance of Notepad++ lot of people would switch to it. Unfortunately I have to keep on my PC even Notepad++ because lot of times I just want to open a file quickly and I can’t wait all the time Brackets takes to load. Some other times I need to open a minified file and I must open it with Notepad++ because Brackets crashes or freezes for some minute ๐Ÿ™

Keep up the great work!

31. Paul Cobb says:

Yes I would like to see a live preview window or support for FF

32. no preprocessors support? i can’t believe there is people out there that still uses pure CSS… LOL. the app sounds nice, it has some interesting features, but there is lots of better apps out there.

33. Yoda says:

This is wicked shit man! =D

34. Andrew Ferguson says:

After updating, CTRL+F stopped working. Trying from the menu doesn’t work either

35. […] support design-oriented coding tasks. The developers end goal is to make Brackets, according to aย blogย post, “the best code editor for doing design-oriented coding with CSS, HTML, and […]

36. Pete says:

Firstly thank you for creating this great editor. Brackets has been my editor of choice since mid 2012.

Brackets is always open and running on both my FED computers, and looks set to remain my editor of choice.

One issue I’m glad is resolved is the file switching delay in Linux (possibly Windows too). The issue is gone and performance overall seems dramatically improved in version 1.0. I hope that there are many more exciting features and performance enhancements to come.

Well done and keep up the good work Brackets team!

37. Max35 says:

Just update your extentions should do the trick.

38. Guillermo Alzuru says:

I have a simple question. I’ve been using Dreamweaver for many years and I’m happy. But I just found out about Brackets and I’m wondering if I should switch or use both, or ignore it and continue using DW. My main work is building online courses.

3 Trackbacks

Warning: call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'thematic_pings' not found or invalid function name in /home/wp_twqxv4/blog.brackets.io/wp-includes/class-walker-comment.php on line 180